Sunday, November 6, 2011

Will you help me with my dream kitchen?

Do you love your kitchen? If not, do have a dream kitchen in your head? I don't love my kitchen, probably have never loved my kitchen. First of all I don't have enough storage. But more than that  I hate the awful, ugly, oak, yellow, fake kitchen cabinets. I know hate it strong word, I don't use it often, but the cabinets are awful! If you have them and love them then I am happy for you, but me, not so much!


So here is an old picture with my old, not so good camera. This is a "great room", the living area is on the other side
 which is perfect when the family is all over, we're all in the same room hanging out together. So while I love it's location there are some parts of it that have always bothered me. Some I have fixed along the 22 years that I have lived here. Why I haven't done something to the cabinets... well I was going to say I don't know but really I do, I'm lazy, the thought of all that work, even tho there aren't many just isn't appealing to me, But now, now I finally get to get some new counters, backsplash, sink and faucet, stove and microwave so suddenly I have the motivation. But I need your help! You see when it comes to making a decision for me, it takes me forever because I don't get to do this kind of thing often, meaning I will live with it for probably 20 more years and then by then I will be so old that I won't really care what's in the kitchen, certainly hoping I get to retire from that place totally by then! :)
So I am painting the cabinets white and adding some hardware, either Oil Rubbed Bronze or Nickle, still not sure yet, but that will come last so no biggie, did I just say that? I dream of all white cabinets.. butcher block countertops, love wood, love the used worn look of wood, not a huge fan of the granite, I
 KNOW I AM THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO DOES NOT CARE FOR GRANITE, BUT I DON'T, AT LEAST NOT FOR ME. When I go into your homes and you have it, it is lovely, not something I could live with for the next 20 years. And I know what you are thinking, I won't have the wood for 20 years either, your right, but with the lower cost of wood, if I decided in 5 years I don't like them and maybe the granite thing has grown on me then I can make a change or maybe those beautiful recycled countertops will be a little more cost effective. Continuing on with the dream... a white farm sink and a nice new faucet. A little something like this.
Remember I'm dreaming! My kitchen doesn't look anything like this, but you get the idea, wood, white, stainless steal. I've also picked out this beautiful penny round tile that is called pepper. The pic below isn't it, but imagine, add a little pepper.
And a farm sink.
Isn't is beautiful??? Do you have one, do you like it? I have had stainless steal for so long I am going to hate a white sink?
So do you kinda get the pic? Or kitchen dream #2...
White upper cabinets, gray bottoms with Corian,....farm sink stays either way. If I have white upper cabinets and gray lower ones and white with little black speck penny round tile do I have a darker or lighter counter top? I should show what my floor curently looks like, it's a change we made a looong time ago, tile by tile, back breaking job!
So it already has a tint of grey in the room. Given that the floor is so light I think having gray bottom cabinets is a better option, but not sure what I think about the gray with the butcher block. Sooo ladies, friends, I would love your feedback! That is if you aren't too tired to respond after reading this book! My husband says "oh what it must be like to be in your head!" Craziness I tell you, it keeps me awake at night!

13 comments:

Linda said...

If you get a white sink invest in Barkeepers Friend...it is what we use to clean my mom's white sink. I don't particularly care for granite either...best of luck!

Dawn said...

Can't wait to see the kitchen transformation. Just painting the cabinets will make a huge impact.

Jennifer said...

I had a white sink in my last house- it bleached out easily when there were stains in it- it was Corian though. My new house has stainless steel and I don't care for it as much.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love your pic with the butcher block counters and the all white cabinets. Gorgeous. I am looking at the first farm sink pic and trying to imagine that the backsplash tile you are getting is something similar to the one shown in that picture. If it is, and then your floor with so much pattern, I think I would go all white for both the upper and lower cabinets. Otherwise, you may have way too much going on. Just a thought. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

3 years ago, my contractor talked me out of using butcher block counter tops, said for my small area (a little larger than yours) I would have a lot of mildew issues around the sink and it might be a lot of upkeep elsewhere. I too, didn't care for granite, and I was getting rid of tile because of the grout. I stumbled across 24" porcelain tile, the ends are justified, so there is a very thin grout line. But I love it. On one counter there are three tiles. I see you could have one piece on either side of your stove, one next to your sink and then maybe 1 1/2 to 2 next to your refrig. 24" tile is often used as floor tile, and I wanted my end pieces to match the tile, so my options were limited. I found the best selection w/ matching ends at our Dal-Tile store. I went w/ a stone look, but they had a marble look that would be very pretty w/ your pepper black splash. I went w/ a pretty cream for my cabinets, goes well w/ the stone look and oil rubbed bronze for the pulls and handles, I like the contrast. I also have 2 large butcher block cutting boards on my counter tops, to bring in the wood counter top look that we love. I am sure you will choose what is just right for you and love it for years to come. Have fun! Kim skeems20@gmail.com

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

What a wonderful dilemma to have! :) You are definitely not the only one who doesn't like granite - it's supposed to be "out" right now. Not that I ever stay in fashion....I've been using the same materials ever since we had our first house.

We've got granite in our kitchen now (it came with the house), and while I love the function of it, I HATE that you can't tell if it's dirty. I guess that's a good thing to some, but I can't tell you how many times I've put papers down and not seen that somebody spilled juice RIGHT THERE and didn't wipe it up.

In the past we've used corian in 2 houses and the fancy dimensional formica stuff (I can't remember what it's called and I refuse to look it up) in one - loved them all. Of course, since we never stayed long, I can't tell you about durability long term :) I would LOVE to have butcher block, but don't know that it would be the best choice for small kiddos, but since you don't have that limitation, I'd say go for it!!

(and I can't wait to see how it turns out)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I like clean and simple. Cabs all the same color (white) will not date. Wood countertops... gorgeous! But expensive I'd bet. I cheated and went laminate but would love a wood look... Hardwood floors, classic.

Neutral beautiful clean backdrops for your ever changing decor.

It really depends on what YOU love. That's what matters most. :) Just ensure whatever you choose, that you don't create any 'black hole' effects. Have a contrast between each surface and it'll be gorgeous.

(Black hole - dark counters, cabs and backsplash... you get the idea)

Donna

Jenn said...

Hi Laura! I just wanted to tell you thanks for the nice comments on remodelaholic! If you only knew that giving free advice on kitchens is my favorite thing to do. (isn't it everyone's favorite thing to do??) :) What I love about your kitchen is that it looks like it has SO much potential! I really hated the curves of my kitchen and the size, but now that I have painted it I can honestly say I love it again. So I really understand what you mean about not loving the wood cabinets! I used the Cabinet Transformations kit by Rustoleum. It made painting a kitchen SO much easier. No sanding, no priming, and I can say that the finish is nice and strong and beautiful. I like what Funky Junk Interiors said about all white cabinets not going out of style, I was concerned about that too, but I took a leap of faith, and I'm convinced that my cabinets will not go out of style because they coordinate so well with the countertops. So, I would say pick your countertop (I love soapstone/Corian, really really don't like granite either), love butcher block and marble of course. :) I say pick what you think will make you happy because your gut is rarely wrong. That's what I did and I am so glad! Good luck!

Marilyn said...

WOW, can't wait to see the whole transformation.. : )) Your inspirations are amazing.. Good luck girlie.. I'll be stopping in to see all your beautiful progress..sneaking in as usual to say hello...Wishing you a lovely start to your weekend.. M

Tammy said...

laura we did a whole kitchen remodel - not planned mind you it just got out of control. But we went with all white cabinets. Lowers and then only uppers on one side of kitchen. Didn't want to feel so closed in so did shelves near sink. Also not a granite girl - I know we are among the weirdos I guess. We went with oak from IKEA. love them to death. I have the IKEA farm sink..wanted the kohler one but it was out of our range. I love it. It does show some stains but barmasters gets it right out. We have wood floors and I painted black checks on them to tie in the black island. not sure I am still liking that but I can easily change them if i want to. take a look:
http://heberthomefor6.blogspot.com/2009/12/finally-kitchen-reveal.html
tammy

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Love how your kitchen is open to the living room. That's a coveted thing. Love all your ideas too. I see what Marty is saying about being cautious with pattern. But I also see why you're thinking about bringing in the gray. I wonder how the white will look next to the cream floors or are they white too? It may be you have to experiment with paint. Two kitchens come to mind.

http://maisondecor8.blogspot.com/2011/10/putting-in-formica-countertop-and-sink.htmlnd-

Amy started with gray on the bottom but changed it. She chronicles the entire process on her blog.
The other kitchen I love is Edie's-

http://www.lifeingraceblog.com/2011/10/31-daysday-29-the-kitchen-her-highness.html

Love all the blues and grays she used, but of course her kitchen is quite large.
The tile backsplash you've chosen is beautiful. I have granite and although I love the way it looks, it's black and shows every water drop. I favor something that's easy to keep clean. Not sure about butcher block.
I don't know what texture you have on your ceilings but was wondering if you could paint the slanted part the wall color and maybe go two shades lighter or a very light airy blue on the ceiling. I once painted a slanted ceiling and it did miracles for the room, raising the wall and eye up.
I can't wait to see the results. It's going to be beautiful!

Kerry_Kid Giddy said...

I totally want the kitchen with the exposed beams, wood, white and steel! Isn't dreaming so much fun?!! love it! - kg

Robbie Marinero said...

Hello there, Laura. May I ask if you have already achieved your dream kitchen? The ideas were great. I got excited to come up with my own gorgeous kitchen as well after seeing these inspirations. If you ask me, I want a white sink and a precious blue counter. Those would definitely match well with my turquoise furniture.

Robbie Marinero @ TNT Tile & Marble Inc

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...