Sunday, June 17, 2012

Easy Map Art

Maps are crazy popular right now, everywhere you look they are on Pinterest. Actually my son was all about the states when he was younger so I decorated his room with them back then. I posted this map on my blog several months ago as inspiration.
People keep sending me emails asking me how to make it. Ooooy... if only they would read. I did not make this, hence the title of the post... Inspiration, things you can buy from the catalog Nappa Style. All that being said, I do think it would be really simple to make. This one is on wood probably like pallet wood.
Ok, pardon this picture, this was taken a few years ago, before I knew you aren't suppose to use a flash. I made this for my sons room. I used artist canvas to mount it on. I took the map, wadded it up a few times to age it out and then Mod Podged it onto the canvas putting more Mod Podge on top. Once it was totally dry I took some watered down brown paint and rubbed it onto the map. The Mod Podge keeps it from really absorbing into the map which is good. This is one map that I cut in half. It really looked aged, I wish I still had it so I could take a better picture for you to see it. If you want to see more great stuff from Nappa Style check out the original post here.
Isn't this amazing!!! I actually had 4 of these a few years ago. I got them free! I just saw them listed on Etsy for 450.00 each, OUCH! I think I gave mine to Goodwill. Yep, makes me sick! I'm thinking does it pay to get rid of things??? Seems like whenever I do it becomes the next big thing! How about you, any remorse over something you got rid of?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! Do you remember what size map and canvases you used in your version? I just purchased a 50"x32" map and am trying to figure out appropriate sized canvases to buy. 50x32 isn't a standard size and is super expensive to have made custom.

momto8 said...

wow...fabulous!! i LOVE maps! we have maps in our bedrooms..

Kadee said...

Do you know where the map from your inspiration is from. I love it and it's perfect for my house!

Keepin' up with the Joneses... said...

I bought the map on the palate from Hobby Lobby...the exact same map, the shape of the palate and everything is the same. Love it!!

Kawaljit said...

You can find similar vintage world map collection in custom wallpaper category at www.wallsandmurals.com. The effect is excellent on Brush Stroke Textured Wallpaper.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...