Saturday, April 16, 2011

Flowers that don't need watering!

So as I have mentioned several times over the last few weeks spring is here and things are blooming all around.
Love these!
 This rose bush is covered in flowers... so many it's laying on the ground now.
I can't remember what these are called but they are so pretty, I wish I had a field of them!
And this little surprise! It's a pumpkin plant, a pumpkin rotted in this last fall and now we have one on the way!
Anyway I thought I would try to make some flowers for the inside of the house, don't need a green thumb for that!
I have been craving ( do you crave design???) something with this kind of vintage feel.
I love the newspaper print with the icy blue colors. This one is 2 layers, the blue paper I cut with a border punch.
And this paper I am just in love with. You may remember I used it for a dress on my paper dolls here
This paper has a little sparkle to it too. I had intended to use my Silhouette for the centers of all of these but someone was on my computer, so I went old school and used punches and scissors. I love how they turned out.
I shredded up some newspaper to use for grass. Notice the stems on the flowers, I used 3 different kinds of ribbons to wrap the dowels with. Such a simple thing but I love how they look.
 Another little peek, I wish I had used this ribbon on one of the ones in the front, it's my fav.
 I didn't make a tutorial on how to make these. I found all kinds of sources on Youtube. I will tell you that some suggested a die that you put thru a machine and some suggested scoring and measuring. I did do some like that but then got tired and again went old school and just accordion folded them. If you are going to go that route I suggest get about half of it done by scoring it and then go on your own. The larger flowers are made with 2 pieces of paper 2 1/4 wide and 12 inches long and then glued together. You can find one video I used to learn how to make these. So which kind of flowers are you going to try out, the ones that need tlc or the ones that don't?

Partying at Gypsy's Corner

26 comments:

Unknown said...

The flowers you can't remember are Kalanchoes. They're beautiful, as are your paper flowers!

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Those flowers are beautiful!!
I am hosting my first linky party today and would love for you to link up! :) {nifty thrifty sunday}
xoxo,
Vanessa

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

No real flowers blooming around here yet, but lovee these little paper ones, think I will try some patriotic ones!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

That is a great idea Becky, may need to do that myself! Laina, thanks for the info!

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS said...

Great photos! I also had pic #3... but they went brown on me ;-( So pretty in pink!

:D Lynda

Gail said...

Your have created a gorgeous vignette with your beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy your evening,
Gail

Lynn at Cottage and Creek said...

Cute flowers! I Love the colors. They're so cheerful. Thanks for sharing and for inspiring creativity in all of us.
~Lynn

Unknown said...

adorable! i love the colours you used

Tammy said...

That is cool about the pumpkin plant growing in your pot. Very cute idea! Your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime soon!

Anonymous said...

Your paper flowers are so pretty! Good job! I'd love to make some of these to use at a ladies luncheon at my church!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

I think I have all these things at home. I need to make a center piece for Easter and I love how your flowers turned out. I started my Workshop Wednesday @ goobyecityhellosuburbs. I'd love it if you linked up!

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees said...

This is such a cute idea!!!
Come and link up your idea tomorrow at our What I Made Wednesday Linky Party!!!

Alisa
Sweet Peas and Bumblebees
sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

Alyssa said...

I need to make some of those pinwheels! Love them! Make sure you go to my blog for a Vintage Easter Printable for FREE ;)! ;)Alyssa

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are adorable! I can' wait to try these myself. I just hope mine turn out half as nice-looking as yours.
Tammy

Sylvia N. said...

Hopped over from Saavy Southern Style's Wednesday hop....and I love this idea! I have done some paper rosettes but these are a darling application of them. I used my Martha Stewart scoring board to make the folding fast and clean! Thanks for sharing!

Sylvia N. said...

Oh, and I am your newest follower! Love the blocks on the wall in your pic too! They are perfect with your flowers!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Laura-

I am all for paper flowers. Houseplants and I are enemies.

Please share this with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday... Hope to see yours among all the amazing projects!

Betty said...

I love your pretty blog. I'm so glad Brenda sent us over here today!

Donnie said...

I'm visiting from Brenda's and just love all your flowers. The ones you made are really cute too. Happy Easter.

Cindy said...

I love your flowers, both real and paper! I'm coming over from Brenda's and I've bookmarked your blog. Love it!

Sunshine and Lavender said...

Love your cute paper flowers... found you at Freckled Laundry

Courtney @ {not so homemade} said...

Featured these on my blog today :)

{oc cottage} said...

A-dorable!!!!!

m ^..^

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

That border punch makes all the difference - so fun!

Anonymous said...

It was a hit! Everyone was impressed then again I am the ONLY one in my family with artist talent- of course they were impressed! Thanks for linking to the party- hope to see you this week! goodbyecityhellosuburbs

Unknown said...

So pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...