Saturday, January 15, 2011

A New Home Welcome!

So I have shown you some of Macy's momma's house that we have been working on I thought today I would start at the beginning, the outside and bring you through the front door. But before I do I have to say that this house is a group project. I haven't done this by myself. My sister and niece and I have been working on this for months, shopping, dreaming, planning, blogging. It has been a blast and we aren't even done yet! Ok, now on to the house.
Nice, huh??? It is set in a beautiful setting in the piney woods of East Texas. (Yard will come in the spring, but ummm, I won't be helping with that part, not my thing!)
Is this what they mean by "a dog's life"? They have all the woods and even a lake to jump in, lucky dogs! I wish the shadow had not been on the door, it is really pretty, knarly and worm eaten, in the best kind of way!
This is what you see when you enter. Great find at the Goodwill, the dresser I mean. We scored this for 75.00. Originally we were going to paint it but it is in the best shape so we left it as is.

And as you step in you see this down the hallway. Kinda difficult to get a picture down the hallway. It's just MDF edges painted brown and scrapbook papers glued on with spray adhesive and then added letters using my Silhouette.
Looking back into the entry. This little pillow was one of the first things Macy's momma bought. I think it's from Target. She loved it and said she wanted it to be the inspiration for her home.


Bad shot but here is a close up of it. Tans, creams and greys on a blue background. Beautiful!!!


 Look at this molding, pitter patter, isn't it amazing!
This is what you see straight ahead from the entry. I love stone and this fireplace is soooo pretty! I love that chunk of wood and the way they did the stone to hold it up.
So here it is up close and personal. But wait I have to show you these finial thingies.

These things are so cool, again a Goodwill score. They were are brass. We sprayed them with ORB (Oil Rubbed Bronze) spray paint. I think they were from a church and held candles. They screw apart so you can adjust the height and make them look totally different. Such a find and for 5.95 I think. Yep you heard me right! We bought four of them. I have to tell you we went to their local Goodwill and hit this amazing, gigantic sale. We had no idea what was going on and we went in and saw the sale sign. There were people EVERYWHERE and they were lined up in the back waiting to see what was coming out. They were bringing merchandise out every hour. We bought 3 carts full that day! We thought we were going to have to go and unload the car and come back. We found some great stuff! Oh I should also mention the little finial things on top didn't come with these they are from something else we bought but we thought they looked best on these. The ginger jars are from Hobby Lobby and the ball is something old that we spray painted and used the patina rub n buff on, same with the bird.
This little piece took on quite a transformation too. It was black and we spray painted it a lt blue and glazed it black. Love it!
These beams mimic the mantel.... so grand! Ok there is so much to show in this room and I don't want to keep you forever. I will show you one more part of the room.
And again, a little closer look....
Most of this we bought as is, the chest was painted and the gate too. But look at the details of this piece.
Another great find.. They live close to First Monday Trade days, I think it's considered the biggest flea market in the US. You can find anything there and at great prices. I just love this piece. I wish I had it for my craft room, massive storage people!  Ok, that is it for tonight. I'll show you the rest of the room soon. So what do you think, could you live here?

13 comments:

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

What a beautiful house! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'll be back to visit you soon! Veronica

foreverdecorating said...

Very pretty and creative.

Anonymous said...

I am loving your blog, and this house and decor is beautiful! You do great work, Laura! -Pam Everitt

Marty said...

Just beautiful! And the pups are adorable=)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh the house is wonderful and all of your decor is fabulous. Such beautiful pieces and wonderful vignettes. Wow, I am impressed. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Mary said...

What a beautiful home~ I so love the stone fireplace & mantle. Your GW finials look lovely transformed!

Sherringa said...

Laura, You are a Natural ~
Beautiful outcome and lovely that you can combine your talents with others to create something this unique! Keep up the creativity!
Love your Blog!

Twinkle Terrior said...

looks like a model home with homespun touches. love it : )

ChicChat said...

I love the rug in the entry way. Where did you find it? Beautiful home.

Sharing Sisters said...

Laura, as I look around my house that I decorated when I moved in 12 years ago, I am inspired. Even on my limited budget I think I can make it as magazine pretty as your blog pics. (of course I may need your assistance!) thanks for sharing your gift and passion!

Natalie said...

Beautiful! I love the family decs in the hallway!!!! Definitely looks like something in a magazine!

*What is MDF? I want to make something like that!!!! I've been searching for the perfect *family* sign :)

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

A couple of people have asked what MDF is. It is Medium Density Fiberboard, known as MDF at any Lowes or Home Depot. It cost about 2.50 for a 12x8 foot piece and they will cut it for you free. These blocks are 12x12 or maybe a tiny bit less.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Lovely home and decor!Love the beams!
gail

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...